Interurban Car 113 historic photo
Sister car at Sodus NY Trolley Station in 1910 - Pierson in 35-Slide Trolley Postcard Collection
Jackson & Sharp Co.
Wood interurban
Secondary Use
Summer Cottage
Interurban Cars
Retired from Service
Acquired by the Museum

Rochester & Sodus Bay Railway 113

From New York


The Rochester and Sodus Bay was one of the very first interurbans. The line, completed in 1900, ran 44 miles from Rochester, NY to Sodus Bay, NY and Sodus Point, NY. When built, it was the world’s longest interurban. In 1909, New York State Railways acquired the R&SB, but the R&SB retained its own identity. New York State Railways also owned three other interurbans as well as several local streetcar operations in the state. New York State Railways was itself owned by the New York Central Railroad. The R&SB produced little traffic except for travel to resorts in the Sodus Bay area in the summer. The R&SB painted its cars royal blue and was known as the “Royal Blue Line.” Jackson & Sharp built 9 wood cars for the R&SB in 1899. In 1900, the R&SB purchased six more wood, monitor-roof cars from Jackson & Sharp, Nos 70 -75. In 1911, the R&SB rebuilt and renumbered its fleet. No. 74 became No. 113. In 1928, the city of Rochester opened a trolley subway in the former Erie Canal bed. The subway was used by several interurban lines serving the city, but the R&SB was the only interurban without a connection to the subway. The R&SB was abandoned in 1929 except for a short section close to Rochester which ran until 1933. After retirement from the R&SB, No. 113 became the day room of the Wright-on-the-Lake trailer camp on the shore of Lake Ontario at Webster, NY. Mrs. Erva Wright Smith, eventual owner of the trailer park, became a great Seashore supporter. In 1989, wheelchair bound, Ms. Smith enlisted the support of both the local historical society and the volunteer fire department to help move No. 113. This was one of the best outpourings of local support ever enjoyed by a Seashore project anywhere. Seats were found in a nearby barn, and correct Taylor trucks were obtained from a wrecked car (Niagara St. Catherines & Toronto Ry. No. 130) at the Rail City Museum at Sandy Creek, NY. (Some news accounts at the time reported the car as No. 114.) No. 113 is the oldest interurban car at Seashore and possibly the oldest preserved interurban anywhere. It is Seashore’s only car built by Jackson & Sharp, an important, early builder. No concrete plans exist for restoring this car body.


  • Number: 2
© 1998 - 2024 New England Electric Railway Historical Society. All Rights Reserved.